Monday, May 12, 2014

The Red Plate

In my family, we have one plate that does not match the rest. It's red and in white letters says "You Are Special."

Growing up, we got to use "the red plate" on special occasions: Birthday? You got the red plate. Placed in the science fair? You got the red plate. Scored a goal in your soccer game? Red plate.

I don't know the last time I got the red plate, or the last time anyone used it. I'm not even sure the last time I've seen the red plate. I think it's under all the regular plates; that's where it always was.

I don't know the last time I thought about the red plate, but it is not forgotten.

Earlier today, I emailed my dad (who is in Afghanistan for his 6th tour) about something I had done. Part of his reply said "If we were all assembled for dinner tonight, you'd get the red plate. Good job and I love you, baby girl."

And I simultaneously burst into tears for a few seconds.

I wish we were all assembled tonight and that I did eat my dinner off the red plate, instead of me sitting on the ground watching NCIS on my laptop.

No comments: