Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Dogs' lives are too short. Their only fault, really.

My mom had to take our dog Panzer to the vet to be put down on Friday morning. He was just shy of 15. We buried hum back at the house my parents own in Virginia near Sassy. My dogs seem to decide to call it quits on Friday mornings. Sassy died on a Friday morning in July 2010. I'm glad he's been laid to rest near his friend after these past few years apart. Pets are more than just pets. They're family.


We used to joke that Panzer would never die since he had defied death so many times in his little life. He ate pounds of chocolate on several occasions, he got free from the backyard numerous times (and no car is going to see a little, gray dog in the road), he was attacked by a golden retriever and yellow lab and almost died, when Sassy died he was so sad and lonely he didn't eat for almost a week and that almost killed him, and he had a heart condition for the last 2 years of his life.


He was old and not in perfect health and even though we knew his time with us drawing to a close, it still seemed like he could never really die. He always rebounded. He was always there. Especially since I am not actually home to see him and bury him like I was with Sassy, it also feels like it can't be real that he is gone. But he is, and my heart is broken and the world I've been living in for 15 years is shattered. I love him so much.


Up until just a few years ago, he was like a puppy his whole life. He was just an athlete. He was so fast and agile. He was my best friend. He would let us dress him up when were little. He learned a dozen tricks and how to spell "walk" and "leash." He caught a few squirrels and birds in day. He was protective of us and spent his whole life brining me so much joy. I dread going to my parents house and him not being there. I miss him so much. My mom says the puppies are confused as to where he is and search the house and car for him. The first generation of my dogs are gone now.




He "liked" to watch Bones with me. AKA, I would have him sit on my lap or he would lie in the beanbag while I watched Bones. He really did watch baseball with mom, though. He would stare at the TV while my mom watched the Mariners and would move if something blocked his view. He was always cautious. He was always aware of what we were doing and hated getting in trouble; he would get so embarrassed. People who say dogs don't have these types of personalities have never cared about an animal properly. He was my best friend and my heart is broken and, just as when Sassy died, will never really be quite whole again.



1 comment:

Lorie Hoffman said...

Pets should never die! I dread it! They are our best buddies! But sadly, we will always outlive them, and we will always go get another pet, and outlive that one.