Friday, December 28, 2012

W10: “If you want to keep a secret, you must also hide it from yourself.”

Week ten: ten secrets
It's late—traveling & holidays. Whateves

But I have thought a lot about what I would say. I thought about posting 10 of my favorite Post Secret postcards (the idea that almost won); I thought about divulging 10 of my deep, dark secrets (for about .2 seconds); I thought about putting down 10 trivial unknown/lesser known fact about me (lame). 

But then a new idea came to me. These all secrets I know: They may be secrets I've been told, secrets I keep for others, secrets I keep from others, secrets I'm not supposed to know but do, or my own secrets. They're all written unattributed, remaining secret from those who are not supposed to know, but nonetheless are secrets I've told you; you just can't be quite sure who they are about.


They're lesbians.


You're trying not to hold it against them and you're not letting it affect you all, but you will never forget how much they hurt you.

If it wasn't for you, the person you love wouldn't have met their spouse.

Sometimes you wish you had chosen a different major.

You pitted your children against each other, parts of them resent each other and you for it and always will.

You clipped a pedestrian at the airport.

You write songs and stories.

Your fiancé is lying to you.

You were right.

You harm yourself.


“with a secret like that,
at some point the secret itself becomes irrelevant.
the fact that you kept it does not.”
>sara gruen, water for elephants 



No comments: