Tuesday, January 31, 2012

May The Odds Be Ever In Your Favor

"I can't fight the sun. I can only 
watch helplessly as it drags me 
into a day I've been dreading 
for months."

(don't worry, no spoilers)



I had heard about The Hunger Games. They were slightly making a buzz around BYU. I knew of some people who read them and liked them. I didn't really know what they were about. In my head I had a combination of The Lord of Flies and The Most Dangerous Game going on; I don't really know why I didn't pick them up right then, I love both The Lord of the Flies–I own it–and The Most Dangerous Game.

“So, what do you think they’ll do to him?” Katniss asks.
Prim sounds about a thousand years old when she speaks. 
“Whatever it takes to break you.”



They were picking up in popularity and the last series that blew up across America I can't stand and can't believe I wasted my time reading. Yes, I'm looking at you Twilight. The Twilight fans are too much for me, the books are poorly written (and more importantly, poorly edited) and the movies are a joke. The fans are insane. I'm fine with being a fanatic. I am a HUGE Harry Potter fan and those fans are insane too, but in a normal way. They grew up with Harry Potter from being small kids, just like me. Twilight's taken on this whole cult following that I don't approve of, and they make me like the series less. I was okay with Twilight until people freaked out about it, now I can't stand the thought of them. (However, for the record, I would be Team Jacob, it's a no-contest. Who in their right mind would choose Edward. But I'm REALLY Team Charlie, he's normal and cracks me up).
You never forget 

the face of the 
person who is your 
last hope. 
Anyway, back to The Hunger Games. So, I wasn't rushing out to read it. For my 20th birthday however, my older sister sent me The Hunger Games. I finally got around to reading it over Christmas break when I was on a cruise.

It. was. amazing.


"Katniss Everdeen, the girl who was on fire, you 
have provided a spark, that left unattended, 
may grow into an inferno that destroys Panem."

I absolutely loved it. It is beautifully written (and edited). It is exciting, dramatic, suspenseful and can pull at your heartstrings. Everyone likes them: young, old, guys, girls.  The characters are real and so relatable. Now, they are slightly disturbing, but so is The Lord of the Flies and The Most Dangerous Game. And possibly Suzanne Collins should see a therapist just to make sure she's okay–I mean creating a world where children and teenagers are forced to fight to the death in a gladiator-esque games while an entire totalitarian ruled country sits and watches, but then so should all of us who couldn't read fast enough to see who would die next and who are waiting with baited breath for the wonderful day in late March when the movie premiers.

It takes ten times as long to put
 yourself back together as it does to fall apart
I got back to school and my roommate borrowed the series from her aunt. I quickly read Catching Fire and Mockingjay in three days. I basically ignored everything else except class and did only the homework I had to do. That way, I could get sucked in, read them and enjoy every word on every page and then get back to life. I really, really enjoyed this series. It's going up there with my favorites: Harry Potter, To Kill a Mockingbird, Hatchet, to name a few. The Hunger Games was my favorite. Catching Fire was dramatic and unbelievable. Mockingjay concluded the story in a way I found intriguing and real. I would reread entire paragraphs because I simply loved the way it was written, how the characters thought, the conversations they had, what they were doing and the descriptions of places and emotions. I will probably read them again this summer when I have more free time. I am so glad my sister got me the first one. I laughed, I cried (yes, I will admit it), I was angry, I was relieved, I was reading so fast and couldn't put them down.


Some small gnarled place inside me hated her 
for her weakness, for her neglect, for the months she had put us through. 
Prim forgave her, but I had taken a step back... 
put up a wall to protect myself from needing her, 
and nothing was ever the same between us again.



"Here's some advice. 
Stay alive."

Now, I am so stoked for this movie. I've been excited for this movie for a month now. I haven't been this excited, this far out, for a movie in SO very, very long. I get so giddy and excited every time I watch this trailer; I can't even handle it. I usually don't go to movies at midnight, I've gone maybe twice; I don't even go to them

The voice doing the countdown to start the games is SO FREAKING INTENSE! [I know, I'm totally geeking out about this]

“Winning means fame and fortune.
Losing means certain death.
The Hunger Games have begun…”




1 comment:

Brittany said...

same here. seems like i was the last person to read them but i'm really glad i did. i can't wait for the movie!