Sunday, November 6, 2011

I Wish I Had Someone To Talk To


I read this secret on Post Secret a few weeks ago and on my first read I completely understood how this person feels. Too many times I can count I have felt like this; many times in my life I have felt completely alone and cut off from everyone around me. I have had no one I could talk to about some things that have gone on around me or that I was involved in, and it's a terrible thing to have nobody to talk to; to feel so alone. To have no one to comfort you and tell you that everything is going to be okay (even when it's not going to be, sometimes). This was my initial thought process. However, on my second, third and fourth reads I realized how grateful I am for the people in my life that I that I can talk to and for the knowledge I have in my faith that I have loving Heavenly Father that I can always talk to.

I'm grateful for my older sister Shannon who is quite a bit older than I am. The older I get, the less our age difference matters in our lives. It is easier for us to relate to each other and over the past few years we have gone from a typical "older and younger sister" relationship to great friends who talk often. I am grateful for how smart and independent she is, and how she has already gone through many of things I am going through now and has relevant advice. I know I can turn to her for just about anything and when she as turned to me for advice I have found myself with the answers, or at least decent suggestions, because we are so much closer than we used to be when we were younger--or rather a different kind of closeness.


I am grateful for the friends I have. It's been a while since I have had friends who I can lean on for support, and not just me supporting them. And having friends that I feel like I can tell them most anything, because lets be real, sometimes I struggle. Having someone there for you and being there for someone else and knowing that will always be the case....just nothing beats that. There is nothing that can replace the immediate comfort that a friend can give you after spilling, what sometimes feels like your entire soul to them, and them giving you a hug and telling that it is going to be alright one day. To have someone physically there to talk to and get feedback from is so important that everyone needs and deserves to have. In the past few years I have gained these types of friends and I am eternally gratefully for them and their friendship. Two of my friends in particular, Kirstin and Aidan, between the 2 of them, have been my sounding board for just about every problem I've had. A day rarely goes by that I don't talk to both of them. I love them so much and they are the definition of a good a friend.
Most importantly, though too often forgotten by me (which I need to correct), I have God to turn too. I believe in the power of prayer, I believe God hears and answers our prayers (in his own time and way, which sometimes is really hard to accept) and that He is ALWAYS there, no matter what, no matter when, no matter where we are. And He is the ultimate comfort and I have seen His hand in my life and have been comforted or given answers to my prayers, probably more times than I actually realize.

I am grateful for my friends and family and am so grateful to have been brought up in an LDS family, knowing that Heavenly Father is a real person that knows and loves me. And I am so glad I go to school at BYU where I am surrounded by people who know that too. So, I'm glad I have so many people to talk to-my family members, my friends and my Heavenly Father, and I don't know where I would be without all of them.

No comments: