Saturday, July 23, 2011

I Solemnly Swear I am Up to No Good

Harry Potter. Ron Weasley. Hermione Granger. Plus, a few more along the way made up a (generally misfit) band of friends and family.


I started reading the Harry Potter novels when I myself was about 11 years old. I think I was in 4th grade, so I was 9. One of my best friends told me I simply HAD to read this book, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. I did. And thus begin my journey through the Wizarding World with Harry, Ron and Hermione. Three "fictional" characters who were much more than words on a page for me. As Harry grew up and learned more and more about the Magical World he where he belonged, I grew up and learned all about the world J.K. Rowling created. The emotion, the world, the story, the friendships, the love, the hatred, the battle between good and evil. The Harry Potter series is an epic story that is real to millions all over the world. Nothing can top it.






I spent many nights reading late into the night and to the early hours of the morning because I HAD to know what was going to happen. I would tell myself, just one more chapter, just one more page, one more paragraph and the next thing I knew I would either have finished the last page or find myself waking up because I literally read myself to sleep. The Harry Potter series are some of my favorite books. I have read and reread all 7 so many times, I couldn’t tell you how many times I’ve read each one.
I own all of them, they’ve sat on my bookshelf and I’ve added each one over the years for the last decade. I almost have all of the DVD movies. In fact, I actually got the first Harry Potter movie for my birthday one year, on VHS. [we later upgraded it a DVD when we got a DVD player].


I learned a lot of things from the characters I've grown to love over the years-too many to mention them all. These characters that J.K. Rowling created will stand the test of time because they have a story, we know their beginnings, their triumphs and failures, how they grew up and how they got to their ends. And we can see parts of ourselves in every character. Who hasn't felt alone and that don’t belong like Harry has-or has have to step up and be a leader like Harry did? Who hasn't felt overshadowed by siblings and friends like Ron sometimes felt? Who hasn't felt like an outcast like Lupin or Sirius did? Who doesn’t have quirks and oddities just like Luna?

Harry taught me that no matter how dire the situation, no matter how beaten you seem to be to always keep fighting.

Ron taught me that we won't be perfect, but we can always come back from where end up. He was as loyal as they come.Hermione taught me that knowledge is priceless and to place unwavering trust and belief in the right friends. Her willingness to sacrifice everything is truly inspiring.








Hagrid and Luna taught us it’s okay to be different. And Neville taught us there is always more to someone than meets the eye.


Dobby, sweet eccentric Dobby-it’s hard for me to read the pages where he dies and is buried because it’s kind of hard to read through tears. The same goes for Sirius’s, Hedwig’s, and Fred’s deaths.



Snape, truly the bravest and most complex character taught that true remorse is the only way to truly change our hearts.


Most importantly J.K. Rowling taught that the strongest magic is love. No one can deny that love does exists and so, logically (as Hermione would say) who can deny that magic exists.

...also, if you put part of your soul in a gigantic snake, be prepared for someone to cut it's head off.




Harry Potter, Ron Weasley, and Hermione Granger have been with me longer than any school I attended, longer than any of the many houses I've called home, longer in fact-than any friend I've ever had. It may be a while, maybe even years before I read the books for the nth time, but I will revisit my childhood. I won’t kid my self and think I’ll read them without gaining anything, because I have yet to read one, no matter how many times I have, and not learn something new. Even Draco, in the end, realized maybe he should side with the scarred kid who saved his life several times than put his faith in a man who killed and terrorized.


I am truly in awe the world J.K. Rowling created and characters she brought to life with paper, ink and imagination. It’s an everlasting world and that stretches past the scopes of the books and characters.

When they were brought to life on the Silver Screen by Daniel Radcliffe, Rupert Grint, Emma Watson and company were exactly what these characters called for. The entire world watch them grow up on the screen and their talent is phenomenal for the roles. No one else could have ever played them.


So after over a decade, Harry Potter finally comes to an end and we say goodbye.


I miss Harry, Ron and Hermione already. [Remember when she hit Malfoy, bahaha]




Before you ask. My favorite characters? Hermione, Dobby, Luna, Minerva McGonagall, and Severus Snape. Dragons, wands, flying brooms, spells, elves, unicorns, quidditch and everything else created in Rolwing's Wizard World she showed us--who doesn't wish it was real.


¯`°ยบ·¤¸.•°*”˜”•✫
·¤..✫¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•.✫
☻/
/▌ MISCHIEF MANAGED
/ \


1 comment:

Jess said...

Dude, you and I were ment to be friends because I feel exactally the same way. You have summarized beautifully what the HP series means to a whole generation! I was 11 when the first book came out, just like Harry, and we really did grow up together. (As corny as it sounds to say that about a fictional character.) Love this post!