Sunday, July 18, 2010

My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet

Dogs' lives are too short. Their only fault, really. ~Agnes Sligh Turnbull
Friday morning my dog, Sassy, died. She was done, she'd been really struggling the last few weeks and I'm just glad we didn't have to take her to the vet and put her down, that would have been so much worse. Me and my mom were home with her and I bawled. We had her for almost 10 years. It's hard for me to remember not having her. She was kind of one of the strangest dogs I know. If someone rang the doorbell she would run downstairs or to the back of the house and then bark, trying not to get in trouble by barking at the door. While my other dog, Panzer, would tiptoe around board games and homework assignments she would bulldoze right through the middle. She would "patrol" the backyard walking around and around the perimeter. She would come sit right on your lap regardless of what you were doing (especially if we were petting our other dog) and flip your hand with her head to make us pet her...then she would growl. Yeah, we didn't get it either. You would have thought she had never eaten a day in her life the way she would scarf down her meals, and then would lay next to Panzer's food and growl if he came close and not let him eat his dinner (whether she ate it herself or just didn't want him to eat it. haha) She was always underfoot, following us around the house and wanting to cuddle, especially in the end. She wasn't as strong as she used to be, because she used to be as solid as a rock, but she she still sometimes would lay next to Panzer's food and growl at him. I used to pick her up and bench press her because she wouldn't squirm, she would just tighten up and be stiff as a board. She was a funny dog and I spent a lot of time with her over the years; I liked to watch TV late at night in the family room by myself with my dogs laying nearby, she liked to watch TV. She was my baby sassy, and a hundred other nicknames we gave to her....some I still don't understand, I don't know where they came from or how we came up with them. Panzer keeps looking all over the house for her and it breaks my heart even more, he misses his friend. We buried her in our backyard and said goodbye to our little pup whom we loved so much. And she loved us. I miss her so much, she was a great dog, not even close to being good behaved haha, but she was a good dog and one of my best friends.




2 comments:

Jess said...

I'm so sorry Kelly! You're in my thoughs for sure.

Kell said...

Thanks Jess.