Friday, March 26, 2010

How Fast Life Can Turn

My family has been friends with another family for years and today I found out their 11 year old son has osteogenic sarcoma, bone cancer, in his right femur and was diagnosed about a month ago. I haven't seen any of them in almost 3 years and keeping in contact gets difficult as time goes on and I was shocked when I found out. The family has a blog (it's not exactly a blog, but is similar to keep everyone updated on his treatment. It's called caringbridge.org, "Connecting family and friends when health matters most.") They too are a military family and the huge number of people who are praying for his recovery and concerned for him and his family are scattered across not only the United States, but the entire world. The last time I saw him he was 7 or 8 years old, and the cutest, most fun kid ever and it just breaks my heart to know how much he is suffering right now and how much he will have to suffer on the long road to recovery. It is so weird how one day someone can be completely fine, running around playing sports, than a couple blood tests and scans later they have cancer and have to go through surgery and chemotherapy. This news has definitely made today a melancholy day for me. It was really upsetting news and the future is so unsure right now, but things are looking good from the start for him. He is a tough little guy and my prayers are with him and his family and hope that the military brings our family's close together again as it has done twice in past years.


No comments: