Thursday, March 11, 2010

Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. --John 15:13

I've learned that goodbyes will hurt, pictures never replace being there, memories-good or bad-bring tears and words can never replace those feelings.

Friends are so vital to us, we aren't meant to be alone, we need friends to survive in this world.
Have any of you really thought about your friends? How much they influence you? How much you influence them? I have had to make a lot of friends over and over again because I have moved so many times in my life. I have had okay friends, I have had good and really good friends and I have had a handful of truly best friends. I have lost many friends over the years whether it be because of fights and differences we were to immature and proud to move past or because it is hard to keep in touch over thousands of miles (or even a few) and over the years. Too much life happens in between. Have you ever told your friends how much you care about them, how much you value them as a person and their opinions? I probably have not enough, though I do make a conscious point to try to. Sometimes we don't realize how much our friends save us from ourselves, and you may never know what your friendship means to another. I know a lot of my friends have impacted my life so greatly and changed who I am for the better. They have taught me a lot and they have all been there for me through different stages and parts of my life. And I will bend over backwards, past points I thought I would break, and do more than I thought I could for my friends, they matter so much to me. Sometimes it has truly amazed me that someone has come into my life and made such a lasting imprint when only a few months previously I didn't know they even existed... sometimes they, or you, walk into each other's life just when you need them most. Sometimes I don't think we let our friends know how they matter until it's too late, sometimes we don't realize how much they mattered until we're actually apart. David Thoreau (the best quotes come from this guy) said, "Goodbye's make you think. They make you realize what you've had and what you've lost, and what you've taken for granted." Don't take your friends for granted, and try to tell them how much they mean to you. You never know when it will be too late to tell them, because life happens, it gets in the way, we lose touch, we have falling outs, and we forget. Take a picture of your life before it all changes. But no matter what happens, no matter how often or little I talk to my friends I know and used to know, you made a difference and I love you and will always be here for you.

PS-two of the greatest songs: Photograph by Nickelback and Last Summer by Lost Prophets.

2 comments:

Caitlin said...

you are a deep human being. i appreciate it.

kels said...

i love you. i hope we are friends like that :)